One-Cup Cookies

I’m not sure if these are a Prairie phenomenon or if it’s coincidence that I had never heard of them before moving to Calgary.

But they showed up in the newsroom one day, courtesy of a fellow reporter, and I was intrigued. Not quite oatmeal, not quite chocolate chip, not quite peanut butter, these One-Cup Cookies are like the best combination of cookies. The baker offered up a pair of recipes to try, but they essentially boil down to the simplest of formulas: one cup of everything. (OK, obviously not the leaveners.)

Stack of One-Cup Cookies

The main difference between the two recipes is the amount of peanut butter. One calls for a cup of the stuff, the other only 3/4 of a cup. After trying both (several times), I’ve decided I like the one with less peanut butter. The taste is barely noticeable, but adds just another dimension to these cookies.

The best thing about this recipe is that it’s infinitely adaptable. Add nuts, seeds, raisins as you see fit. Don’t like cranberries? Don’t add them. Don’t want your kids hopped up on chocolate? Omit the chips. And so on.

I love the addition of cranberries, though. The play of sweet chocolate against the tang of the slightly tart of the dried fruit is really nice.

Like all cookies, the trick to keeping these chewy is to pull them out of the oven, while they’re still slightly puffed and gooey looking in just the centre. They’ll keep cooking from the residual heat even after you pull them out, but won’t get overly crisp.

Chips and Coconut

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars, then beat in the eggs. Add peanut butter, then dry ingredients. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, until edges are golden but middles are still slightly gooey looking. Let rest on cookie sheet for a few minutes before cooling on a wire rack.

21 comments for “One-Cup Cookies

1. Mmmmm
    November 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm

These look delicious. The only thing is that I don’t eat nuts. Do you think I could get away without the peanut butter?

• Melody
      May 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Absolutely I make the identical recipe with no peanut butter and just add in a tbsp. or two of milk for more moisture. I also add two cups of ots instead of one. They are really good and can be used as a base for many kinds of cookies. I like white chocolate macadamia nut, coconut raisn, skor bits, smarties or a mix of differant chipits. I usually divide the dough before adding the mix-ins to make several flavours at once. I sometimes roll the dough into balls and freeze them for baking later on.

2. patentandthepantry
    November 7, 2008 at 12:14 am

I’m not really sure what would happen if you didn’t add the peanut butter. I’d say it’s definitely worth the experiment!

3. November 7, 2008 at 1:41 am

mmmm they look great

4. November 7, 2008 at 10:23 am

These just went directly into my “to make asap” file. I love the cranberry-coconut-chocolate combo! Can’t wait to try them.

5. November 7, 2008 at 8:08 pm

nyum nyum! looks good, tastes even better? great blog you got here!

6. smw1979
    November 7, 2008 at 9:26 pm

If you’re allergic to nuts, you could substitute sunflower seed butter or soynut butter for the peanut butter.

7. November 8, 2008 at 9:17 am

what a neat recipe! i love your add-ins, too–they’re exactly what i would use. masterful cookies. :)

8. November 10, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Looks like a great recipe to me! And one I can remember:)

9. Erin
    November 12, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I just baked these delightful treats and recommend them to everyone. The coconut isn’t as detectable as one might think, and I added chopped walnuts: a perfect touch. As a college student, I’m always looking for easy recipes, and this one is so easy that I think I might be able to memorize it- and that’s hard for me!
    I can’t wait to share them at my committee meeting tomorrow! Thanks so much!

10. de
    November 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I am definately going to give these a shot, and the weather is perfect for baking yummy cookies. :)

11. November 17, 2008 at 9:08 pm

They look awesome!

12. dinnerwithjulie
    November 22, 2008 at 12:39 am

Must. Put these on my to-eat list!

13. December 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I learned about these cookies at a craft show in Victoria, BC, where the ladies baking guild had a table selling such goodies! Yum! As soon as I got home I looked up a recipe. I’ve made these five times now! I just made about one hundred of these for the holiday gift giving. Thanks for the recipe!

14. LT
    July 8, 2010 at 8:55 pm

We love these cookies!! Ran out of dried cranberries, so added in dried blueberries and they were awesome. I’ve also made them with different kinds of of nuts and chips and they never fail. This is pretty much the only cookie I make, but they’re different every time because of the add ins changing.

15. jenna kimbo
    October 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

so, while making them just now i realized i didn’t have coconut…and so as i was looking for a substitute i found some trail mix..and some frosted flakes. add those and man are they yummy!

October 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

What a fantastic idea! Nice work, Jenna.

16. Sue
    February 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Using “No Nut” product works and taste just like peanut butter. More expensive than PB but worth every bite.

• Donna
      March 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I’m wondering what substituting the peanut butter with coconut oil would be like? I might try it.

17. June 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site
    with us so I came to take a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and brilliant design.