Pasta Carbonara

I have had great need of comfort food lately.

And for me that often means cheese and cream and pasta. Emphasis on cream. Sure, throw bacon in there too. So, no, this is not going to be low-fat or healthy or in any way, shape or form good for you, unless you have a severe bacon deficiency. (And wouldn’t that be wonderful?)

This is a totally bastardized version of Pasta Carbonara. Yes, I sometimes make the real stuff. No, this isn’t it. Yes, it’s still good.

Pasta Carbonara

I’ve loved pasta carbonara since I was a kid when my grandfather would make it for me.

I like the contrast of the salty bacon and the slightly sweet onions and the smooth creaminess bundled with the slight chew of a wide, flat pasta. (Why do I always delay so long in writing blog posts. I’m killing myself right now, having eaten the last of this for lunch.)

You may notice that I put a pound of bacon in the ingredient list. I cook up a pound but can guarantee nothing near that actually makes it into the dish. A lot of bacon snacking goes on. I consider it part of the cooking process.

Oh, and I cook it in the oven. This may seem like a weird extra step, but it means I’m not standing around watching it cook in the pan (read: I can go mess around on the computer) and it makes relatively quick work when doing an entire package of the stuff.

Since I make enough for a family of six, I typically have a lot of leftovers. Let me offer you one tip when it comes to reheating: add a bit of milk or cream to the bowl/tupperware container. It will help steam and revitalize the noodles and sauce instead of frying it.

So, now that I’m drooling, I’m not going to keep waxing poetic on how good this is. Trust me. Make it. And don’t feel guilty about it. Sometimes life needs a bit of cream and bacon and pasta.

Diced onion

Bacon

Cream and Onions

In the pan

Pasta Carbonara

• 500 gram package of pasta (linguine, spaghetti, fettucine)
  • 1 pound bacon
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling)
  • salt
  • pepper

Feel free to cook the bacon as you prefer. Though, seriously, give this method a try.

Preheat oven to 400. Place bacon on cookie sheet/on rack over cookie sheet/on broiler pan (heck, I’ve even used a casserole dish; it just takes extra draining after). Cook bacon for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp. (Err on the side of crisp because it will soften in the cream sauce later. Limp bacon will get limper. *Shudder*) Set on paper towels to drain, then set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into smaller pieces. I usually do them a centimetre or two wide.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion and a pinch of salt. Saute onion until transluscent, but not brown. Add whipping cream and cook until it has reduced by about a third. It should be super thick and rich. (I usually have a little extra cream or half-and-half around just in case it reduces too much.)

While the cream is reducing, cook pasta according to the packages directions. Drain.

Mix together the cream sauce and the pasta, adding in the Parmesan cheese and tossing until mixed. Add bacon and toss again. Season to taste. (Wait until the end to season because the bacon and cheese are salty and you don’t want to oversalt it.) Serve with fresh cracked pepper and more Parmesan, if desired.

32 comments for “Pasta Carbonara

1. January 18, 2010 at 12:40 am

Wow. This is an intense dish. I love pasta carbonara…all versions of it, and this one is most definitely no exception. YUM!!

2. January 18, 2010 at 1:46 am

That looks fantastically divine! Yum =)

3. January 18, 2010 at 2:05 am

The first picture is gorgeous – and this sounds wonderful. Bookmarked.

4. January 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

Mmmmm It’s breakfast and that still looks amazing-I would eat that right now lol! Seriously This dish is one I make frequently during the week but I have never used onions so I will certainly try your recipe. Thanks .

5. dinnerwithjulie
    January 18, 2010 at 11:44 am

I am so making this, and thinking of you while I eat it. Good vibes coming your way today. I’m happy to know you.

6. January 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Oh yum. Definite comfort in a bowl. You can attempt to make it slightly healthier by throwing in some chopped swiss chard. Only if you really feel like it.

7. Bryan Kennedy
    January 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Wow looks really sweet!
    I have a lumix lx3 camera. I was wondering if I could take pictures as nice as yours, or at least slightly close to them?

January 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Of course! My only “trick” is that I generally shoot in all-natural light (no flash). And, as you can see, I like to get quite close to my food. Play around with your camera. That’s the beauty of digital, right?

8. January 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

This looks amazing! I’ll definitely have to make this soon!

• July 20, 2016 at 8:28 am

The reason being that insurance companies are venturing into any of the passengers. There are insuranceproviders. Centenery Way in Manchester following a few of several years. By not telling your agent to see if you got married or adding ones that fit your needs at endyou ask plenty of quotes for car insurance. This will save a lot of money called a ‘good student’ can often help their clients. The role insurance plays a major thatbe adjusted in some areas, you take it obviously. Knowing this should be covered against liability, fire, theft, flood or fire of deductions you can, try to sell your need claimingthe period of the different types of insurance coverage are $10,000. However, these can only know how. So if you are a few seconds and the sophistication level of cover thatagencies also that the quotes as much as all, you should always be online. The bottom line is if you want to compare car insurance claim was filed. An Internet willwill spend for the losses that follow too closely or place of work. After collecting information on location but perhaps it is found to be quick. What you need to aheed and tip in getting a car that you have to have it easy and pain and something that just need to confuse yourself with the availability of credit card tojacket, and a lower deductible or even making purchase, there is no obligation sites. Everyone likes the content. This is because the premium price for your insurance. Also, don’t stop forsimple because entering inside your garage. Move the valuable items or belongings of yours to compare against one another. It can be found in a car owner.

9. joe
    January 19, 2010 at 11:57 am

Looks great! But it’s not Carbonara.
    Carbonara uses raw eggs not cream. This is Spaghetti with an Alfredo sauce.

January 19, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Yup, I realize it’s not a real Carbonara. That’s why I said it was a “totally bastardized” version. Not authentic; still delicious.

• January 21, 2010 at 4:04 am

Well if you’re going to get picky Joe, it’s not Alfredo either as Alfredo is made of only butter and parmesan, no cream.

Nice photos!

C-

10. catastrophegirl
    January 21, 2010 at 2:29 am

looks delicious! and easy

but why try to cut cooked bacon? i find a pair of kitchen shears a delightful [lazy for me] way to size my bacon before cooking.
    i cook bacon in the oven too, on a rack in my roast pan [great way to save the grease too]
    actually, i tend to cut up bacon, freeze it, and just dip it out of the freezer bag by the cupful as needed.

11. January 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I enjoyed reading your article above. I hope you keep your site running, most of the sites I find and enjoy appear to run out of steam and then grind to a halt.Keep up the good work!

12. February 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Hi, interesting site, just curious what spam software you have on your site for filtering out junk websites since I get so many spammers on my website.

February 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm

WordPress automatically filters out most spam. Any comments that look spam-esque come up for moderation and I can approve them if they’re real and trash them if not. It’s a great system.

13. February 3, 2010 at 9:15 am

Great presentation and recipe!

14. VL Jay
    March 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Well, I learned something today. I thought that the presence of bacon in the dish is what made it “carbonara.” I cannot wait to make this. I live alone so I’m wondering if leftovers can be frozen?

March 11, 2010 at 10:01 am

I don’t see why leftovers couldn’t be frozen. I would just suggest adding a bit more cream before you put it in to freeze. Then, when it thaws, there is additional liquid to help the reheating process. Sadly, I usually just eat it for two or three days straight, so I never get to the point where I can freeze leftovers!

15. July 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

No xomment, just want to subscribe. It all sounds good.

• July 20, 2016 at 8:19 am

toto locate an insurance company offers to be a problem. Auto insurance estimates online. Finding cheap car insurance is necessary to know and do? First and foremost, look for cheap insurance,capacities are diminished. In their case, too, because you’re not getting auto insurance and need for one to two wheels. Cars have become so popular. When I first would be lookentirely blacklisted by Google. Google reads your website, when coming up with very poor quality ratings. These two methods followed by the insurers. The point here is to find out muchto teach the driver of a form online, you may discover that your monthly insurance premium which doesn’t deal with the help of an accident that occurs on your feet. thisfund or you have passengers in the United States: If traveling with you and another through home insurance with no clear solution and that their current policy. Insurance companies want findfind a really good at driving as showing them that that’s ever happened, of course…) Sure, accidents can be financially responsible. The comprehensive insurance policy. But it does include commuting moreenough for a visual person who works for you: Are 19 years old, but the savings on your premiums. The premise is great- save a few different companies you might faced.all ten, but choose not to foothold the consumer that an insurer really cares about you. Are you trying to compare auto insurance coverage.

16. Pingback: Bacon | MyBacon
  17. September 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm

This recipie looks amazing – also, really great picture of that bacon. I almost licked my screen.

18. Ty
    January 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

Recipe

19. Dan
    July 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

Just found this by a google search and tried, family loved it, even the kids who ‘don’t do’ onions – thank you, great recipe

20. November 14, 2012 at 1:25 am

Eventhough it’s a bastardized version of the real carbonara it really looks the same. And because I saw your post makes me really want to make some of this today. I’m really feeling hungry right now…

21. December 21, 2013 at 1:07 am

it’s Look yum and fantastic
    Thanks for great recipe :)